What are some typical reasons why a person might work with a coach.
An individual or team might choose to work with a coach for many reasons, including but not limited to the following:
- Something urgent, compelling or exciting is at stake (a challenge, stretch goal or opportunity)
- A gap exists in knowledge, skills, confidence or resources
- A desire to accelerate results
- A lack of clarity with choices to be made
- Success has started to become problematic
- Work and life are out of balance, creating unwanted consequences resulting a sense of being overwhelmed.
- Core strengths need to be identified, along with how best to leverage them
What does coaching ask of an individual?
- To be successful, coaching asks certain things, all of which begin with intention. Additionally, clients should:
- Focus on one’s self, the tough questions, the hard truths, and one’s success.
- Observe the behaviors and communications of others.
- Listen to one’s intuition, assumptions, judgments, and to the way one sounds when one speaks.
- Challenge existing attitudes, beliefs and behaviors and develop new ones that serve one’s goals in a superior way.
- Leverage personal strengths and overcome limitations to develop a winning style.
- Take decisive actions, however uncomfortable and in spite of personal insecurities, to reach for the extraordinary.
- Show compassion for one’s self while learning new behaviors and experiencing setbacks, and to show that compassion for others as they do the same.
- Have the courage to reach for more than before while engaging in continual self-examination without fear.
- Be willing to do the hard work and be open to change.
- Develop greater self-knowledge focused on self-development
How does the coaching process work?
1 – Increased Clarity and Focus
Sometimes we are just too involved, too close and cannot see the forest for the trees. Coaches work with perspectives. The more perspectives we bring to bear on a problem allows us to have more choices and make better decisions. Exploring important decisions with greater clarity allows people to be more innovative and break old patterns that hold them back.
2 – Increased Accountability
It’s so easy to make excuses to yourself to get out of doing things that you know you should do, or persuade yourself that if we let it slip to next week, it will be okay. Having a coach act as an accountability partner helps clients keep commitments. Excuses are explored to see if they are in fact valid or if they are a pattern of limiting beliefs blocking forward movement.
3 – Better Ideas
We are creatures of habit. As such life comes at is in patterns. When an issue arises we ofter resort what’s worked in the past. The result is we institutionalize problems and don’t innovate or experience personal growth. Coaches stretch clients to get their highest levels of creativity.
5 – Better Decision Making
More perspectives, better choices, improved focus, accountability and exploring different perspectives all contribute to better and more timely decisions.
What unique training and experience do you have for coaching veterans transitioning to the civilian work force?
One of our coaches is a U.S.Army combat veteran who served in Vietnam, has 45 years of corporate experience, sits on an Irregular Warfare Panel at the U.S. Naval War College in Newport RI and is certified in Lomingers Career Architect. He has coached other veterans transitioning to the civilian workplace. He also servers as a mentor for the Special Operators Transition Foundation (SOTF) committed to transitioning special operations veterans into their next successful career
HEALTH AND WELLNESS – FAQ
What is a Health and Wellness Coach?
Health and Wellness Coaches use positive psychology techniques to partner with clients as they identify their personal vision for lasting lifestyle change. Coaches then serve clients as a “change agent” and support a person in helping to design the road map and encourage progress resulting in successful goal attainment.
Why are Health and Wellness Coaches important and how can one help me?
Health coaches are important because traditional medical doctors and other practitioners don’t have the time to spend with their patients helping them to understand and implement the behavior changes necessary to positively impact their lifestyle. Coaches bridge the gap for their clients between what they know they need/want to do to be healthier and the intrinsic motivation they need to make and sustain meaningful change. Simply put, coaches help people get it done.
I get frustrated with my health professional for not having enough time to help me learn how to manage my health concerns and make healthy lifestyle changes? Would I get more than 15 minutes with a Health and Wellness Coach?
The frequency and amount of time is based on each individual’s needs and goals. Our time together starts with you providing me your story. We work together to determine next steps and design a plan that works for YOU! There is not a concern of time, because our time is dedicated to your success.