Couples Counseling in St. Louis
Couples counseling is a personalized approach for couples who are battling with communication, parenting conflict and intimacy issues. These are just a few common issues that individuals struggle with in relationships — there are a host of other issues that professional counselors can also unpack by using evidence-based practices.
Who Can Benefit from Couples Counseling in St. Louis?
Most people can benefit from some type of couples counseling — you don’t always have to be in conflict. Some couples see counseling as a way of “checking” in with their relationship to ensure a foolproof future.
Generally, counseling sessions are most beneficial to people considering ending a relationship, those wanting premarital counseling and couples wanting to establish healthier boundaries. New marriages or partnerships with blended family units can also get help with how to coparent as a team.
Issues Couples Counseling Can Help With
After meeting your counselor, couples typically meet one-on-one with the counselor to air their grievances and give opinions in a safe space.
If you’re experiencing any of the following, you might need couples counseling.
- Sexual difficulties and intimacy issues
- Parenting conflicts and difficult relationships with children
- Ongoing conflict that’s creating emotional distance
- Anger management and frustration
- Feeling exhausted, disinterested and apathetic toward your partner
- Making plans to leave the relationship
- Work and life stress
- Living with and loving someone with addiction and mental health challenges
- Trauma related to violence, death of loved ones, war, accidents and more
- Infidelity and affairs
- Life events and life transitions such as changing jobs, moving house and long-distance relationships
How Couples Counseling Teaches Skills That Can Help With All Aspects of Your Relationship
A counselor is an independent person who can identify cracks in your relationship and help you gain the necessary skills for relationship satisfaction. These are usually skills that can be used across a wide range of relationship types.
Renowned counselors and researchers John and Julie Gottman are highly respected for their work in the field of marriage counseling. Many counselors choose to use the Gottman method to resolve relationship issues, which revolves around turning inward while creating shared meaning and admiration for one another. The Gottman method can teach supportive skills for long-lasting relationships.
Counseling can help you learn:
- New ways of communicating
- How to actively listen
- Conflict resolution skills
- How to check in with others and deepen connections
- Skills on how to create boundaries and maintain balance in any kind of relationship
We Help With:
- Heal after an affair or loss of trust
- Reduce conflict
- Rebuild trust
- Improve communication
- Discover lasting connection
- Set healthy boundaries
- Increase intimacy (both emotional & physical connection)
- Pre-marital readiness
We use evidence based strategies to include:
- The Gottman method
- Narrative Therapy
- Solution Focused Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Relationships need a solid foundation to function, which can be complex when two unique individuals enter into a partnership. If you are based in Missouri and in need of marital counseling or couples counseling in St. Louis, Get Centered’s experienced marriage counselors can help you and your partner build a healthy relationship. Request an appointment today.